“STOTT PILATES® is a contemporary approach to the original exercise method pioneered by the late Joseph Pilates. Co‑founders Moira and Lindsay G. Merrithew, along with a team of physical therapists, sports medicine and fitness professionals, have spent more than two decades refining the STOTT PILATES® method of exercise and equipment. This resulted in the inclusion of modern principles of exercise science and spinal rehabilitation, making it one of the safest and effective methods available. This clear and detailed approach forms the basis for STOTT PILATES® training and certification programs. It’s used by rehab and prenatal clients, athletes, celebrities and everyone in between.”
Joseph Pilates created 6 original principles as the basis of the system:
1. Breath – “above all…learn to breathe correctly.” – Joseph Pilates
2. Concentration – focus your mind on the task at hand.
3. Control – complete control of your body by your mind.
4. Centering – “movement flowing out from a strong center.”
5. Precision – perform the exercise as perfectly as possible.
6. Flow – will improve balance, control, coordination.
Benefits of Pilates include (source STOTT PILATES® manual series):
- longer, leaner muscles
- core strength & stability
- injury prevention
- relief from stress & back pain
- improved balance & coordination
- enhanced athletic performance
- effective post-rehabilitation
- improved digestion
- heightened mind-body awareness
- increased self-confidence
Pilates Mat, Small Equipment & Professional Reformer Sessions
5 Basic Principles
2. Pelvic Placement
3. Rib Cage Placement
4. Scapular Isolation and Mobilization
5. Cervical (neck) Placement
Pilates Mat Classes
Duration – 55 minutes
A great starting point for beginners, the Essential Matwork class teaches the Five Basic Principles of the STOTT PILATES method, and builds a foundation of exercises required to move on to the next level. This mat-based workout is designed to help participants develop leaner, longer-looking muscles, establish core strength and stability, and heighten mind-body awareness. Props may be incorporated to add variety. Participants are welcome to stay in the Essential classes until they feel confident enough to enter the Essential/Intermediate class. Class capacity is limited 8 participants.
Duration – 55 minutes
For more challenge, Matwork classes at the Essential/Intermediate level will take you through a dynamic, full-body workout that focuses on improving flexibility and core strength, with exercises that stretch and tone all muscle groups. Programming may vary from session to session to include, Flex-Bands, Toning Balls, Rotational Disks, and Fitness Circle® Resistance Rings. Class capacity is limited 8 participants